Sealant applicators seal all types of constructed joints to ensure a building is airtight and waterproof.
- Trained with experience sealant applicators can earn in the region of £22,000 - £28,000
Salaries will depend on your location, employer and any overtime that you do. Self-employed sealant applicators set their own pay rates
Qualifications and Training
The Association of Sealant Applicators runs its own apprenticeship scheme, which leads to an NVQ Level 2 in specialist installation occupations – joint sealant application. You must be at least 18 years old to apply.
The two-year apprenticeship includes a combination of 18 days' off-the-job training, 20 days' on-site training with an employer and five days' on-site assessment. Apprentices spend the remainder of the two years gaining experience on site and work towards the following qualifications:
- NVQ Level 2 in Joint Sealant Application
- CSCS Card
- IPAF Certificated Mobile Access Plant Operator Scissor Lift
- IPAF Certificated Mobile Access Plant Operator Boom Lift
- PLASMA Certificated Mobile Tower Erection and Dismantler
- Abrasive Wheel and Diamond Blade Certificated
- First Aid at Work Certificated
It’s a good idea to have at least three to six months of on-site experience with an employer before starting this construction apprenticeship. If you haven’t worked in construction before you can start out as a labourer and your employer might train you in sealant application.