Facebook Pixel

Finding the right course

Finding the right course can be tough! Luckily, here at Go Construct, we have all the advice you need to pave your way to a career in construction. 

Where do I start?

Sometimes it's not just about finding the right course, but working out what it is you want to do. When considering what course to choose, think about: 

  • Where the course is - do you want to be based at home, do distance learning, or move away for your course?
  • How you best find to study - are you better at more coursework based courses, or better with exams? Do you want to learn full-time or part-time, or to combine working and learning?
  • What you will study - is it a general subject you'll need to study or something more specific for your career choice?

Keep your options open

  • You can keep your options open and develop several skills by choosing subjects from different fields.
  • For instance, Design and Technology offers the chance to practice working with your hands, while humanities subjects like Business Studies can give you an insight into how companies are run.
  • English, Maths and Science, meanwhile, are compulsory and could be especially important as they often form part of the main entry requirements for most careers and apprenticeships in construction.

Do your research

Research all the subjects you're thinking of taking by:

  • Speaking to people already working in construction jobs
  • Speaking to teachers
  • Checking online for information about what employers want

Useful qualifications for a career in construction

Working out the differences between further education, higher education, apprenticeships and degree level courses can be overwhelming! Here's a breakdown of what these courses mean:

  • GCSE - this qualification is in a specific subject undertaken by students normally between 14-16, and is normally the pre-cursor to completing an A-level. The Scottish equivalent of this is a Standard Grade.
  • A-level - this is normally done after completing GCSEs, and is in a specific subject typically done by students aged 16-18. Students would normally choose 3/4 subjects to study. The Scottish equivalent is the Higher
  • BTEC - this is a vocational qualification that can be taken in England and Wales. It can also be taken by anyone over the age of 14. 
  • HND - this stands for Higher National Diploma and is a work-related course that you would take at higher or further education colleges. This is normally the equivalent to two years at university.
  • HNC - this stands for Higher National Certificate and is the level below a HND. A HNC is a work-related qualification and is the same as the first year of a university course. 
  • NVQ - this means a National Vocational Qualification. This is a work-based qualification that combines learning and practical working. 
  • Apprenticeships - this qualification means that you follow someone's example who is trained in their role and learn all the skills and knowledge you need for that particular role. 
  • Degree level course - you would usually complete this course whilst at university over the course of three to four years. Depending on the subject, these courses combine coursework, exams and practical learning also. It is possible to study your degree part time and in your private time. 

Help with costs

There are usually some costs for the course you want to study including course fees, travel costs, equipment, tools, and licences. 

There are multiple ways to obtian financial support for your studies:

Getting on the course

It's important to look carefully at the entry requirements for your course. These will be listed as part of the course details.

If you’re unsure, contact the course tutor as they'll help you and can give lots of advice.

Clare - Graduate Bid Writer | 01:15
Web design by S8080