Roof slating and tiling competition overview
Competitors will be expected to undertake a specific project that will require them to demonstrate the skills that are essential requirements for today’s construction industry.
Roofing operatives work on the protective layers of a building which separate the inside from the elements using a range of materials, methods and structures. Roof slaters and tilers install and repair all the waterproof coverings for buildings by applying slates or tiles to a designed framework, such as the roof of a house. Skills for this role include understanding drawings and specifications to know what materials to use, fixing underlay, insulation and roof coverings in place, repairing old or faulty roofing, ensuring any new covering is weatherproof.
Heritage specialists can work on roofs ranging from Victorian terraced houses to ancient churches. Modern slaters and tilers are trained in using the handmade materials of earlier eras, including clay tiles and different types of natural stone or slate.
This competition has been designed to reflect the role of a roof slater and tiler and the standards that are expected within the construction industry.
Competitors will be marked throughout the competition:
- Competitors have to work in a safe manner and will lose marks if this is not adhered to
- At the Regional Qualifiers the maximum working time for the task is 6 hours
- At the UK National Final the maximum working time for the task is 18 hours
- The competition only takes place within the UK
To take part in this competition you should be able to:
- Interpret drawings
- Apply underlay, battens and tiles
- Measure, mark and cut of tiles
- Demonstrate cutting techniques
- Use pointing techniques
- Ensure structure is securely fixed throughout
- Ensure structure is free from defects
- Keep the work area clean and tidy
- Work in a safe manner
- Bricklaying competition overview
- Carpentry competition overview
- Furntiure and Cabinet Making competition overview
- Joinery competition overview
- Painting and Decorating competition overview
- Plastering competition overview
- Plastering and Drywall Systems competition overview
- Stonemasonry competition overview
- Wall and Floor Tiling competition overview