Facebook Pixel

Building control surveyor

Building control officer

A building control surveyor ensures that building regulations are followed on new build sites and projects. They may also be required to survey damaged or unstable structures to determine whether they can be repaired safely or need to be demolished.

Average salary*




Typical hours per week


How to become a building control surveyor

There are several routes to becoming a building control surveyor. You could complete a university or college course, an apprenticeship, or apply to an employer directly. 

You should explore these routes to find out which is the right one for you. Although some of these options have certain qualification requirements, many employers are more interested in people who are enthusiastic, willing to learn and can follow instructions. 

You may need a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card to work on a construction site.


To become a building control surveyor, you could study for a foundation degree, higher national diploma (HND), or an undergraduate degree in a relevant subject, such as:

  • Building studies
  • Civil engineering
  • Structural engineering
  • Building control
  • Building surveying.

You’ll usually require:

  • 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English, maths and science
  • 2 - 3 A levels, or equivalent.

Your course would need to be accredited by a professional body, either The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) or the Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE).

> Equivalent entry requirements explained

> Find a university course

> Funding advice 


You could complete a college course which could help you apply for a trainee position as a building control surveyor. Relevant college courses include:

  • Level 3 Certificate in Construction and the Built Environment
  • T level in Design, Surveying and Planning
  • Level 4 Diploma in Building Control Surveying
  • Level 4 Diploma in Civil Engineering. 

You’ll usually require:

  • 4 - 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent (level 3 course)
  • 4 - 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths (T level)
  • 1 - 2 A levels (level 4 course).

> Equivalent entry requirements explained

> Find a course near you

> Funding advice 


You could complete a building control surveyor degree apprenticeship to become a building control surveyor. 

For a degree apprenticeship you’ll usually need 4 - 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) and 1 - 2 A levels, or equivalent.

Apprenticeships are open to anyone over the age of 16. As an apprentice, you’ll be fully employed by your company and expected to work a minimum of 30 hours a week. Your time will be split between on-the-job experience and a college or training provider.

> Find an apprenticeship near you

> Guide to apprenticeships


If you have similar experience from another job in construction such as quantity surveying or site management experience, you could apply directly to a company specialising in building control, or a local authority, to gain onsite experience as a building control surveyor. You might start out as an assistant to a more experienced building control surveyor and progress as your abilities improve.

Work experience

Work experience is essential to gaining employment within the construction industry. You could gain this at school, or by working weekends and holidays with a company or relative who works as a building control surveyor. Potential employers will always be pleased to see work experience listed on your CV.

> Find out more about work experience


Additional skills which may benefit anyone considering a job as a building control surveyor include: 

  • Knowledge of building and construction
  • Good attention to detail
  • Customer service skills
  • Ability to use your initiative
  • Analytical thinking skills
  • Patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
  • Full driving licence.

What does a building control surveyor do?

As a building control surveyor, you’ll be responsible for assisting with the planning and construction of various structures.

The job role of a building control surveyor may involve the following duties: 

  • Assisting during the planning and construction phases of a variety of construction projects, from small house extensions to major city developments
  • Responding to emergency calls to check buildings which have been damaged by fire or bad weather
  • Inspecting unsafe buildings and recommending whether they can be repaired or should be demolished
  • Working closely with construction workers on planning proposals
  • Carrying out inspections on site at each stage of the building process
  • Keeping records and issuing completion certificates
  • Suggesting ways to improve the energy use of buildings
  • Starting legal proceedings should work not be in line with regulations.

How much could you earn as a building control surveyor?

The expected salary for a building control surveyor varies as you become more experienced.

  • Newly trained building control surveyors can earn £22,000 - £27,000
  • Trained building control surveyors with some experience can earn £30,000 - £40,000
  • Senior, chartered, or master building control surveyors can earn £40,000 - £60,000*
  • Self-employed building control surveyors set their own pay rates.

Hours and salary depend on location, employer and any overtime you may do.

* Salaries have been collected from multiple industry sources and have been updated as of 2019


Check out the latest building control surveyor vacancies: 

As these are external websites, the number of vacancies related to your preferred role may vary. New opportunities will be posted as they come up.

Career path and progression

As a building control surveyor, you could specialise in a particular area such as fire safety, or alternatively move into a more technical role in other departments, such as town planning. 

As a building control surveyor, there is potential to become chartered through the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and earn a higher salary.  

You could also set up as a self-employed consultant. 

Web design by S8080