Design Managers coordinate the design work involved across the entire construction process.
- Newly trained design managers can earn in the region of £30,000-£45,000
- Trained with experience design managers can earn in the region of £40,000-£60,000
- Senior, chartered or master design managers can earn in the region of £70,000-£90,000
Salaries typically range depending on location and level of responsibility. Salaries and career options improve with chartered status.
Qualifications and Training
This is a role requiring significant technical skills. It is possible to go into this kind of role without formal qualification requirements, but it's generally more accepted if you complete one of the following qualifications:
- BTEC in Building Studies, Building Engineering or Building Management
- HNC/HND/degree in Construction Management or Architecture (or their equivalent such as the Scottish SCQF/SVQ)
- BSc in Design and Construction Management
Further qualifications – and Chartered status – can be gained through courses accredited by The Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) or Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA).