Painting and decorating competition overview
A painter and decorator works with all fabrics and paints to a high finish, carrying out work to both internal and external of properties.
A painter and decorator works on a wide range of painting and decorating projects ranging from house renovations to new-builds, all the way to complex jobs such as painting bridges, or maintaining historic buildings. A painter and decorator makes walls and ceilings shipshape and attractive using a variety of systems, wallpaper and other finishes.
It's one of the most in-demand construction trades and you'll need to master a range of techniques for making places look good, often training in new skills throughout your career. Specialist techniques include applying decorative paint finishes such as stencils, colour glaze, graining, marbling and lettering.
This competition has been designed to reflect the role of a painter and decorator and the standards that are expected within the construction industry.
Competitors will be marked throughout the competition:
- Ability to work to tolerances of millimetres The design will be marked for accuracy, opacity, finesse and quality
- Competitors will lose marks for inaccurate measurements, and poor finishing
- Competitors have to work in a safe manner and will lose marks if this is not adhered to
- At the Regional Qualifiers the maximum working time for the task is 6 hours
- At the SkillBuild National Final the maximum working time for the task is 18 hours
To take part in this competition you should be able to:
- Work from drawings by taking accurate measurements to determine the materials required for the competition piece
- Apply wallpaper
- Demonstrate excellent painting skills
- Work to tolerances of millimetres
- Keep the work area clean and tidy
- Work in a safe manner
- Bricklaying competition overview
- Carpentry competition overview
- Furniture and Cabinet Making competition overview
- Joinery competition overview
- Plastering competition overview
- Plastering and Drywall Systems competition overview
- Roof Slating and Tiling competition overview
- Stonemasonry competition overview
- Wall and Floor Tiling competition overview