A new Industry Placement card has been announced to help construction learners gain vital work experience, take the first step in a career in construction and ensure smooth progression through the industry.

What’s been announced?

New routes into the construction industry often involve a blend of classroom learning and on the job experience. To support the transition from the classroom to the workplace, the new Industry Placement card has been introduced for learners on programmes that require work placements for a minimum of 30 days.

Extended periods of work placement provide you with valuable onsite experience, offering an insight into what it’s like to work in construction while developing critical practical and technical skills. This is exactly what the Industry Placement card helps provide – if you’re undertaking a training programme such as a Traineeship or T Levels, the card will allow you to take part in a work placement on a live site, alongside completing your studies.

The card, which will display the Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) logo, is being launched for September 2021.

What are CSCS cards?

CSCS cards provide proof that individuals working on construction sites have the appropriate training and qualifications for the job they do on site. While the cards aren’t a legal requirement, the majority of principal contractors and major house builders require construction workers on their sites to hold a valid card.

Find out more about the cards in our blog here.

Who is it for?

The Industry Placement card is for learners undergoing a construction related qualification or training programme which requires the completion of a work placement.

The card is designed to support those who are enrolled on Traineeships, T Levels, Sandwich Degrees, Foundation and Progression Qualifications (Wales only), and any other relevant qualification or training programme.

To be eligible for the Industry Placement card, you must:

  • Be aged 16 or over
  • Be registered onto a qualification or training programme requiring a minimum of 30 days’ work placement and that will ultimately lead to becoming eligible for an Apprentice, Skilled Worker or Manager card
  • Have successfully passed the CITB Health, Safety and Environment Operative test or one of the equivalent tests offered by CSCS Partner Schemes.

You can view the list of Partner Schemes here.

Scheme types

Initially, the card will be available on the following card schemes:

  • Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS)
  • Electrotechnical Certificate Scheme (ECS)
  • Engineering Services SKILLcard
  • JIB Plumbing Mechanical Engineering Services (JIB PMES)

It’s important to apply to the card scheme relevant to the construction pathway you’re taking. For example, if you’re studying Building Engineering Services with a specialist pathway in Electrotechnical Engineering, you should apply to the Electrotechnical Certificate Scheme. Alternatively, taking a qualification in Design, Surveying and Planning means you should apply via CSCS.

For more information, check out the FAQs on the CSCS site here.

How do I apply for the Industry Placement card?

For those taking T Levels and Traineeships, it is expected that your training provider will apply and pay for the card. For all other qualification and training routes, you will need to apply and pay for the card yourself – in all instances, however, it is worth checking with your training provider beforehand.

The card is being introduced in September 2021, but you can head over to CSCS now to register and apply for a card. As of July 2022, CSCS cards are now free for all apprentices.

The card is valid for three years and is not renewable; in certain circumstances, such as not being able to complete your work placement within three years due to illness, the card’s validity may be extended.

Further information

For more information on the Industry Placement card, head over to the CSCS, ECS, SKILLcard and JIB PMES websites to find out how each Certification Scheme will implement the cards.