Accounting and finance personnel play a vital role in every business, being responsible for keeping track of the money that comes in and goes out.
- Newly trained accountants can earn in the region of £14,000-£25,000
- Trained with experience accountants can earn in the region of £29,000-£55,000
- Senior, chartered or master accountants can earn in the region of £60,000-£80,000
Salaries typically depend on location, employer and level of responsibility. Salaries and career options improve with chartered status.
Qualifications and Training
Many roles (particularly senior) in accountancy require specific qualifications or a degree in Accountancy/ Finance. , and/or specialist accountancy training.
Opportunities also exist for school leavers wishing to gain an entry level internship or apprenticeship. For this, A Level Maths or Scottish Highers will usually be required.
There are a number of professional bodies with their own exams and qualifications, including the following:
- ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants)
- CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants)
- ICAEW (Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales)
These qualifications are often undertaken whilst working in an accountancy role, and supported by the employer in many cases.