To determine what dry lining training course is right for you depends on multiple factors.

Things to consider when choosing a dry lining training course:

- How long is the course?
- How much does it cost?
- Would I have to sit exams?
- What qualification will I gain?
- Are there any entry requirements?

Dry lining qualifications and training courses


There are various training courses available to gain relevant qualifications for a career in dry lining.

Depending on your style of learning, National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs) allow you to present a portfolio, evidencing your work and achievements, and be observed to make sure you’re competent in carrying out the required industry tasks. There are no exam-based assessments.

On the other hand, there are practical courses available that have a variety of assessment types, from written, practical or verbal assessments. It’s important to understand the assessment style for each course to ensure it’s the right style of learning for you.

City & Guilds dry lining 6713


City & Guilds offer an intermediate course in dry lining suitable for those over 16 years old. The four-week intensive course is ideal for individuals who wish to develop their skills in dry lining, and it will prepare them for future employment in the construction industry.

Although there are no entry requirements, ideally you will have basic knowledge of plastering or interior systems, either from the Level 1 course or an entry-level industry role.

Individuals will have to complete a multiple-choice and practical assessment. By the end, you’ll gain a Level 2 Diploma in Dry Lining that proves you have the required skills to work as a dry liner within the construction industry.

The course covers:

  • Health, safety and welfare in construction
  • Construction principles
  • Installations of ceilings, partitions and wall linings
  • Understanding the direct bond method
  • How to apply taping and jointing systems
  • Understanding specialist’s systems
  • How to apply finished/sprayed plaster.

Check out City & Guilds course here.

CITB dry lining apprenticeship course


CITB offer a 24-month apprenticeship course that allows you to gain a vocational qualification in interior systems installation whilst gaining industry experience.

The course is split between 18 weeks of training over an 18-month period with on-the-job experience. There is a variation of regular assessments from written, practical, verbal questioning and presentations or multiple-choice questions.

In this course, you’ll learn:

  • Theory of partition, drywall and ceiling installation
  • Awareness in health and safety
  • How to complete risk assessments
  • Building information modelling (BIM)
  • Basic project management.

By the end of the 24 months, individuals would have gained a Level 2 Interior Systems Installer, MEWPS IPAF accreditation and Level 1 Functional Skills.

Explore the CITB dry lining apprenticeship course.

Dry lining NVQ courses


Dry lining NVQs are judged against the National Occupational Standards for dry lining.

NVQs aim to recognise your skills and develop your knowledge; if you wish to apply for an NVQ you must be employed within the construction industry.

NVQs come with a host of benefits:

  • You don’t need any formal qualifications
  • You won’t sit any exams
  • It’s a flexible route into the construction industry
  • Gain a nationally recognised qualification
  • Evidence of your practical ability
  • You’ll have the opportunity to learn on the job whilst being paid!

NVQs are assessed throughout the duration of the course. The assessor is assigned at the beginning of the NVQ and will visit you twice on site. You will also build a portfolio of evidence to prove you’re working at the required standard.

What CSCS card do you need for dry lining?

There are many different types of dry liner CSCS cards that you can apply for, so it’s important to ensure you have selected the relevant card.

  • Red CSCS – if you’ve not gained an NVQ
  • Green CSCS – once you’ve gained a level 1 NVQ
  • Blue CSCS – once you’ve gained a level 2 NVQ
  • Gold CSCS – once you’ve gained a level 3 NVQ
  • Black CSCS – once you’ve gained a level 4 NVQ.

It’s important to note that expired CRO cards cannot be renewed, in which case you’ll need to apply for a blue CSCS card.

Want to know more about a career in dry lining?

If you want to know more about a career in dry lining, from the day-to-day duties, and progression levels or hear real construction stories – take a look here.